Translate

Friday, July 12, 2013

Taking the Toefl IBT Test in Turkey

More than 10 years have passed since I took the Toefl test last time. Back then, it was a computer based test too, I took that one in another country. So I didn't have any clue what it was like to take the test in Turkey.
 
I ordered the test through ets.org/toefl, I had to take it as soon as possible. I could manage to get a date approximately 3-4 weeks later, which was fair enough. The test place was very close to my house, so I was happy about it.
 
On the test date I was there for about an hour earlier. They gave me some papers to sign. Before I go to my seat, they checked my ID, took my photo holding a sign which I guess had my candidate number on it. Then I went to my seat, locked my personel stuff in my personel locker, which they give you the key of. Switched off my cell phone, put away my watch also into my locker. So I was set. They don't let you to keep your watch, but during the test they show you the time on your screen.
 
As soon as I sat, more people came into the class to take the test. There were about 25 seats, and I can say that most of them were full. You start your exam by controlling your head phones and microphones. You have to keep repeating a constant phrase as "describe the city you live in" to check whether your microphone works or not. In our class all of the people started the test at different times, that's why the ones who started earlier, had to hear the other people repeating the phrases. It was totally disturbing, I can say that the first 8 minutes I didn't understand anything at all from what I read, because the first section of the test was reading. So I advice you to book your test to an isolated test center, not to a one in the heart of the city. The desks were also so close to each other, I could sometimes hear what the person next to me said.
 
The test took about 4 hours, including the breaks. They let you have water with you during the test, which was a good thing. The air conditioning was working meanwhile and did not bother me. But you may want to have something warm with you just in case.
 
Fortunately I got the result I hoped to get. Wish you all luck in your exams!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment